This was a spur of the moment meal that I started at 9:00pm Sunday night. I don’t recommend doing that since I added too much liquid to my rice cooker and after two-and-a-half hours, it still hadn’t beeped. I finally checked on it close to midnight and the brown rice was finally done. Learning from my mistakes, what I believe should be a faster recipe is below.
brown rice with tofu, zucchini, eggplant, and shiitake
- 2 go of brown rice, rinsed
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1/2 block of tofu, cut into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch cubes
- 8-10 shiitake, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin (sweet cooking rice wine)
- Put rice in rice cooker and enough water for 2 go according to your rice cooker’s specifications. Add all other ingredients.
- If your rice cooker has a brown rice setting, switch it to that, and press start.
- When your rice cooker beeps, it’s done! (You may want to check on it after an hour and see how it’s doing, and then every half hour after that. The vegetables will add extra liquid as they cook down, so make sure you don’t make the mistake I did of putting enough water to compensate for all the ingredients.)